Friday, May 25, 2012

Questions for the Panel of "My Man Godfrey"

"Men can brag, but that's where a woman can't do what men do, and still be feminine.  No man will endure listening to a girl boast about how smart she is." -Carole Lumbard

I brought up this quote in reference to Ms. Lombard's career.  Off screen, did she follow this particular rule of the game that she spoke of in her career as an actress?  We were able to assess that her character in "My Man Godfrey" was quite naive and genuine.  I don't think Irene could be too boastful about her intelect.  However, she certainly had a smart heart when it came to remembering the 'forgotten' man.

Gregory LeCave was first a cartoonist and animator before directing and writing for comedic hollywood films.  We discussed how the experience impacted the film "My Man Godfrey".  The opening credits did prove to be spectacular with their animation.  However, I am amazed that the individuals we have been discussing seem to all have a myriad of experiences under the belts.  Hollywood seems to have been an exciting place to work where one could do a certain thing, and then change to another.

3 comments:

  1. My question was what was the panel's opinion on the way the family views the value of human life vs. lives of animals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posed the question of whether or not this film was any type of social critique of society at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My question on "My Man Godfrey" is if the movie was a screwball comedy, a light comedy or a delightful comedy? In the end, does he really love her and if so, do you think that the relationship could really last?

    ReplyDelete